Thursday, April 9, 2009

Love of my Life

For as long as i have been seeing EPL and for as long as i have been watching football, Arsenal and Dennis Bergkamp remain etched in my memory from the very beginning.... I remember the 1994 World Cup as a 10 year old watching matches and hearing about great players like Romario, Baggio etc... But my first clear World Cup recollection was 1998 WC. Was enchanted by the player named Dennis Bergkamp whose last minute Goal against Argentina in QF still reverberates through my very soul!!! Saw France beat my favourite team Brazil (which neutral did not like them especially in those days)... Was heartbroken and mystified by some of the things which happened in that Final....

But that increased my interest in Football by leaps and bounds and then came EPL... dont even remember how i got to see the EPL matches but immediately started following Arsenal coz it had Bergkamp... saw some other wonderful players... Overmars, Anelka, Viera, Wiltord, Bobby Pires, HENRY, Kanu, Ljunberg, Gilberto, SEAMAN, the wonderful BACK 4 especially Tony Adams, and so many others...

My liking grew to love to present obsession with Arsenal... Arsenal grew on me from season to season... As i grew up i got more opportunities to watch them, understand them as a club, understand their achievements and feel proud of them with the HIGHEST point being the unbeaten season and League win over Liverpool on the last day of the season in the last minute (even though i was 5 at that time, looking at that recorded match still gives me goosebumps) ... Man was i on top of the world in that unbeaten season....

Today i am learned enough about arsenal that i can be part of forums and share and learn from other supporters how it is to support Arsenal.... Man am i glad that i chose the right club... Cant imagine being a supporter of Man united or that Chelsea or Liverpool... Cant imagine associating myself with the cheapness associated with supporting Barca or Real madrid always prying on other team's players... Cant stand the Italian football ethos and their defensive mindset.... So yeah, i chose the right league and the right club!!!

I wish i was in London... so that i can associate myself with Arsenal!! I wish i was one of those guys who had a family with Arsenal following tradition... I wish i can hold a Arsenal Season ticket one day and travel to every Arsenal home and away match!! I wish "Fever Pitch (the English Version, not the stupid and copied American version)" was based on my life!! Being a 25 year old i cant explain the obsession normally associated with younger souls which i have towards everything Arsenal... But love is mysterious and cant be explained, can it?? and this is pure unadultered love, make no mistake!!

Dont have any specific reason of writing this piece... But this weeks experience of supporting Arsenal made me think about why i go through the agony... the win against Man City, the draw against Yellow Submarine, the subsequent injuries because of the match, the perils those injuries have in store for us, the uncertainty over the rest of the season... is this all worth it?? Well the answer is, YES!! Every iota of this agony is absolutely fantastic!!! I shall rather die in agony than lack the passion!!!

Gunnerzzz for Life!!!!!

No comments: